Tuesday 16 July 2013

Internship

As this summer has become a working summer for me (sadly I have very little to no time, what with working at the Yacht Club three or four days a week and still at Dorothy Perkins one or two days a week) I decided to add an internship too my already busy life. So every Monday I go into Octagon Marine: Canvas and Sail, where I make and design handbags on industrial grade machines. It is really good fun, and keeps me in a sewing mindset through out the summer, as I am terrified I'll forget how to sew if I stop!


I have been making a variety of handbags from patterns for them, these pictured above fold open to reveal another two pockets, making them perfect for travelling! The bags are all made from scraps from the sail making side of the business so it is two birds with one stone, as we are removing the wastage and creating new stock simultaneously. The colour palette is limited though, and most bags are made up in blue or cream canvas; though canvas is sometimes ordered in in brighter colours for certain designs, and also to get some variety into our range of products.  

 

I also make a lot of what are referred to as "Bucket Bags" designed to hold bottles of beer without them toppling over, and leaving a space in the middle for ice to chill the drinks when on the boat or at the beach. Most of the bags have rope handles, as to follow a nautical theme. 
A few weeks into my time there I began designing my own bag, a satchel style rucksack with a small internal pocket, and a pocket especially for a 13' laptop. I designed it to be practical for art students, so there is a lot of space to carry the vast array of art related materials we have to carry about on a daily basis, though it could be used by anyone. Though finally after about a month and about five different prototypes in various materials, I finally have a prototype I can trial.




It is made of old sails, and includes a clear polythene pocket, to keep all the little things that get lost at the bottom of your bag easily visible and accessible. I was also amazed at how much stuff I could fit in it, having used it a few times now, it's almost as if it is a Tardis bag! I am so proud of myself, as it is one of the first things I have designed and followed though into construction, and a final outcome, and it gives me hope that I have some basic skills to start with at university. To develop them I might look into putting sail numbers on the top of the flap, though I personally prefer it minimal. The straps also need a bit of work, I am thinking slightly wider and more padding. I am also getting some good feedback from my friends about it (though I think they are just being nice) but hopefully some people might want one of their own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment